This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

São José dos Pinhais, Paraná (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-02 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | sao jose dos pinhais | tree (pine | araucaria) | cogwheel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



São José dos Pinhais, PR(Brazil) image by Joseph McMillan


See also:

About the Flag of São José dos Pinhais

The flag is blue with an emblem on the center showing an araucaria pine growing through the center of a cogwheel.
Source: www.bibliotecapublica.com.br
Joseph McMillan, 17 March 2003

The municipality of São José dos Pinhais (268,807 inhabitants in 2010; 946 sq. km) is located in the Curitiba Metropolitan Area, 10 km of Curitiba. São José dos Pinhais is the 3rd car manufacturing town in Brazil, with Volkswagen, Audi, Nissan and Renault factories, and the seat of the Afonso Pena international airport, the main airport in Paraná. On 16 January 1958, the plane transporting the former President of the Republic Nereu de Oliveira Ramos (1888-1958; President from 11 November 1955 to 31 January 1956, following the suicide committed by Getúlio Vargas) crashed in São José dos Pinhais.

São José dos Pinhais was first settled in 1649 by Portuguese gold scavengers. After their leader, Ébano Pereira, had announced the finding of gold, colonists rushed to the place and founded the small settlement of Arraial Grande on the banks of river Arraial. In 1690 1690, the building of a chapel in the Águas Bella estate boosted the official colonization of the area. The parish of São José was established in 1721 upon request by Raphael Pires Pardinho. The growth of the colony was stopped around 1750 when the gold deposits were exhausted. Until the first half of the 19th century, São José kept a low number of inhabitants scattered over a vast territory. In spite of being one of the biggest parishes in the region, São José was abandoned by the religious and administrative powers. The municipality of São José dos Pinhais was established by Provincial Law No. 10 of 16 July 1852 and inaugurated on 8 January 1853. The "vila" of São José dos Pinhais was made a "cidade" on 27 December 1897.

The flag of São José dos Pinhais is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 20 of 3 September 1971. The flag, 0.45 m x 1.00 m, is "swimming pool" blue with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The coat of arms shows an araucaria growing through a gear wheel on a sky blue and light green background. The shield is surrounded dexter by a plant of wheat and sinister by a plant of yerba maté. A white scroll is charged with the writing "Municipio de" (at the top of the shield) and "S. José dos Pinhais - 8 de Janeiro 1853" (at the bottom and beneath the shield). A white branch is placed beneath the lower scroll.
http://www.sjp.pr.gov.br/sjp/simbolos

Ivan Sache, 25 February 2012