This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Žďár nad Sázavou (Czech Republic)

Žďár nad Sázavou okres, Vysočina region

Last modified: 2011-03-18 by andrew weeks
Keywords: zdar ns |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Žďár nad Sázavou city flag

[Zdár nad Sázavou flag] by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 21 Apr 2002, after image by Petr Exner; adopted 26 Apr 1996

Žďár nad Sázavou coat of arms

[Zdár nad Sázavou coat of arms] image at this website, reported by Aleš Křížan, 11 Sep 2001 - Click on it for a better view.

Explanation  of the Arms: First field is a slightly changed Arms of Dietrichstein Family  Second field (the bend sinister is in fact
celestial blue, Shows the eagle of Zdár Cistercian Abbey,  given  by princes of Münsterberg. These were sons of Bohemian king George of Kunštát and Podebrady. No one of them had pretension to throne, since they were born before George's election . So they got a principality (duchy) in Silesia and county Kladsko /Glatz/Klodsko, also in modern Poland. The stripped escutcheon are the Arms of Kunštát Family. Letter W is an initial letter for Abbot Václav/Wezel Vejmluva. Cones are the Arms of "Our Church in Olomouc, six "Piramides " or Cones coloured white or Argent, in upper row four and in lower two of them", which is quotation from the Dierichstein grant from 1607, when the town status were also granted.

Saltire ragully couped etc., this is the oldest Arms of Zdár municipality- the arms of migty noble family "Ronovci". The main
branches were Lords of Lipá (see Ceská Lípa, Coat of Arms of Cvikov), Lords (Berka) of Dubá, Lords of Lichtenburg (see Havlíckuv Brod Arms). Fourth field - these are the Arms of Zdár Convent. The fields 2) and 4) are the amendment of the Dietrichstein Grant, made by Emperor Leopold I in 1704.

In 1971 the Town National Committee (town council) ordered, that two versions of the Arms would be used.  The small Coat of Arms is the right half of the great arms, practically the arms of 1607.
Aleš Křížan, 11 Sep 2001