This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Aachen Municipal Community (Germany)

Städteregion Aachen, Northrhine-Westphalia

Last modified: 2012-09-23 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: aachen municipal community | aachen county | swan | lion(black) | antlers | chief | base |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Aachen county flag] 3:5  image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 1 Aug 2011
approved 20 December 1972 See also:


The region was known as Landkreis Aachen since 1815, renamed into Kreis Aachen (Aachen county) in 1972 and into Städteregion Aachen in 2009, although not only cities are among its members.

The entity is the successor of Aachen county overtaking all its duties on 21 October 2009. Furthermore it includes the City of Aachen, which kept however the status of a county free city with all rights. The citizens of the community had their first elections of a regional parliament (Städteregionstag) on 30 August 2009.
For further information click here
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Aug 2011

County Flag

Description of flag:
The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is a yellow over blue horizontal bicolour. The coat of arms is in the centre of the flag.
Source: §3(4) of Hauptsatzung of Aachen municipal community, version 2009(?).

Coat of Arms

Description of coat of arms:
In a blue field a silver (=white) swan armed black and tongued red stands upon the silver (=white) base of golden (= yellow) antlers. The shield has a golden (= yellow) chief superimposed by a black, statant lion tongued red.
According to source the dukes of Jülich were rulers of the main part of the region. They are symbolized by the lion. The swan and antlers is based upon the arms of the former city of Burtscheid, which had been incorporated into Aachen in 1897. Those arms had been granted to the city in 1882 and are related to the arms of the counts of Woestenradt, a kin from Brabant-Limburg. One of its members was head of a local Cistercian nun's monastery.
Source: Stadler 1964, p.11
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 9 Aug 2011

Flag and coat of arms were approved by Regierungspräsident Köln on 20 December 1972

back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here