Last modified: 2011-06-10 by jarig bakker
Keywords: bavaria | bayern | ingolstadt | stadt ingolstadt | coat of arms (panther: blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Four stripes in the colours white and light blue with the arms. Sources: flag from Staack 1997, arms from Stadler 1964-1971. For another depiction, see the DGF website.
Stefan Schwoon, 8 March 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Ingolstadt received city rights in the 13th century. The oldest known seal dates from the same time, and shows St. Mauritius, the patron saint of the local church. On the second seal, known since 1314 he holds a small shield with the panther. Since around 1340 only the panther is used on the seals and arms of the city. The origin of the panther is not known. It may be that the panther is derived from the seal and arms of the Niederalteich Convent, that had strong ties with the city in the 13th century. The panther may also be taken from the arms of the Counts-Palatine of the Ortenburg dynasty, who used a panther. A relation between these and the city, however, is not clear.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 1 February 2002