Last modified: 2011-02-25 by editor unassigned
Keywords: grafschaft bentheim |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 22 Dec 2007
Flag adopted 25 Apr 1956
The arms were granted on 20 May 1955.
The arms are identical to the original arms of the Counts of Bentheim. These counts were very influential and ruled their territory from a mighty castle since the 12th century. In 1606 the county was split in two lines, Bentheim and Steinfurt. The present Counts of Bentheim still use the same arms.
The origin of the arms is unknown. The arms are also used in the arms of the towns of Bad Bentheim, Neuenhaus, Nordhorn and the Dutch towns of De Wijk (now in Meppel) and Geldermalsen.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.