Last modified: 2012-09-23 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: aachen | aix-la-chapelle | bicolour |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Sources: Staack 1997 and Stadler 1972
Stefan Schwoon, 22 Feb 2001
Colours from the arms. From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The city used in the Middle Ages seals which showed Charlemagne on a throne. The oldest seals date from the 12th century, and the same picture was used until the 16th century. In the 16th century the Imperial eagle appeared as the city's arms. They have not changed through the years, except during the Napoleonic era: from 1811 to 1817 the arms showed a globe flanked by four eagles. On the chief there were the three bees of a (French) Imperial city.
Source: Stadler 1972.
Santiago Dotor, 18 Dec 2001
back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here