This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Hamm City (Germany)

Kreisfreie Stadt Hamm, Northrhine-Westphalia

Last modified: 2017-06-03 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: hamm | bockum-hoevel | heessen | pelkum | markian chequered bar | hammer and mallet | beechnut | label |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors




[Hamm fcity lag] 3:5  image by Eugene Baldwin, 19 Nov 1998
approved 4 July 1975 See also:

Hamm City

Hamm is a county-free city (Kreisfreie Stadt) east of Dortmund and south of Münster.
Eugene Baldwin, 19 Nov 1998

Hamm has 180,000 inhabitants.
Kai A. Hamm, 23 Jun 2000

The chequered stripe is taken from the arms. Hamm was founded in 1226 by Adolf I, Count of Mark, and later became the capital of the County of Mark. In 1263 the village received city rights. Around 1275 the arms of the Counts were changed to the chequered fess. The city subsequently started to use the new arms in its seals since 1297. The new arms became the lesser arms of the city until 1875, when it became the official arms. The arms were reconfirmed in 1909 and 1934.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.48
Santiago Dotor, 20 Dec 2001

Bicolour

[Hamm city flag without arms] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 July 2007
used until 1975

The flag's ratio is 3:5. It is a red over white horizontal bicolour.
The flag was probably used until 1975.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.48
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 July 2007

Banner

[Hamm city banner]  image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Nov 2007
approved 4 July 1975

It is a red-white red flag. The vertical stripes have the ratio 2:3:2. Shifted to the top a 3 x 7 version of the Markian chequered bar is superimposed.
Note:
A flag is not used and the description within the diploma is erraneous. According to Veddeler only the banner is used.
Approved: 4 July 1975 by Regierungspräsident Arnsberg
Source: Veddeler 2003, p.402
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 21 Nov 2007


Bockum-Hövel Borough

[Bockum-Hövel borough armourial flag] 2:3 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

Flag:
It is an armourial flag (banner of arms) with three white rectangular tails. Source: this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

Bockum-Hövel Plain Bicolour

[Bockum-Hövel plain borough flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 July 2007

It is a red over white horizontal bicolour.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.26
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 7 July 2007


Bockum-Hövel Coat of Arms

Shield barry of four of Gules and Argent, the upper bar Argent is charged with two beechnuts Or in fess barbed Gules, the lower bar Argent is charged with hammer and mallet Gules in saltire.
Meaning:
In 1939 the municipalities of Bockum and Hövel merged. The new municipality gained city status in 1956. The barry shield is a modification (German: Minderung) of the arms of the Lords of Hövel, first mentioned in 1189, being commissionaires of the Altena-Isenburg kin. The name of the lords was derived from their namesake estate. The beechnuts are symbolising Bockum. The name is derived from from Buchenheim (German: Buche is beech). Hammer and mallet are symbolising the importance of coal mining for both municipalities until the end of the 20th century.
The arms were approved in 1955.
Source: Stadler 1967, p.26
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017


Heessen Borough

[Heessen plain borough flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

Flag:
It is a yellow over blue horizontal bicolour with centred arms.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

Heessen Plain Bicolour

[Heessen plain borough flag] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

It is a blue over yellow horizontal bicolour.
This flag was approved in 1939.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017


Heessen Coat of Arms

Shield parted per pale, at dexter Or a fess Gules, at sinister Azure a fess Argent charged with three pallets Gules.
Meaning:
The dexter side displays the arms of the Bishopric of Münster, to which Heessen belonged in the past. The sinister side displays the arms of Von-der-Recke kin. Heesen estate together with its cognisance was a possession of that family until 1778, after the Volmarstein kin became extinct in the 15th century. Since 1778 the Boeselager kin owned Heessen and built up a new castle. Heessen gained city rights in 1964 and was incorporated into the city of Hamm on 1 January 1975.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.49
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017


Pelkum Borough

[Pelkum borough banner] 3:5 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

Flag:
It is a red over yellow over red horizontal triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:4:1. The coat of arms is in the centre of the yellow stripe.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.78
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

Pelkum Banner

[Pelkum borough banner] image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017

It is a red-yellow-red vertical triband with ratio of stripes approx. 1:4:1. The coat of arms is in the centre of the yellow stripe.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.78
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017


Coat of Arms

Shield Gules, hammer and mallet between a 4-point label in chief and a forked house mark in base, all charges Or.
Meaning:
The arms are identical to the arms of former Herringen municipality and nowadays Herringen city-district . The label is taken from the arms of the Lords of Herringen. Hammer and mallet are symbolising the importance of coal mining in the area til the end of the 20th century. The house mark is the symbol of local Isenbeck Estate in the former Wiescherh?fen municipality. Isenbeck was name giver of the brewery in Hamm, has however nothing else in common with it. Flag and arms approved 1968, the arms had been approved before in 1960 for Herringen municipality.
Source: Stadler 1972, p.78
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 30 May 2017


back to index of Northrhine-Westphalia county-free cities and counties page click here.