Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: montejícar | tower (yellow) | hoist triangle (white) | halberd | crown: royal (closed) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Montejícar (2,525 inhabitants in 2008; 8,920 ha) is located 60 km north of Granada, and 45 km south of Jaén, at an elevation of 1,140 m asl.
The name of Montejícar comes from the Arabic "Shicar," itself derived from "Hins Monte Xaquer," after the Latin "Mons Sacer," "The Sacred Mount." Once a significant Roman settlement recalled by the Roman fortified bridge of Triana, Montejícar was under the Moorish rule a strategic place defending of the Kingdom of Granada; from the castle built in the 9th century, the only remains are a quadrangular tower, a few walls and a gate. Reconquered in 1486 by the Catholic Kings, Montejícar was listed 12 years later among the seven cities commissioned to supply food to Granada (Montejícar , Montefrío, Íllora, Moclín, Colomera, Guadahortuna and Iznalloz). In the 16-18th centuries, Montejícar was indeed the third bigger grain producer in Spain. Deserted after the expelling of the Moriscos, Montejícar was resettled under King Charles I. In 1514, Luis de Valdivia y Diego de Lizana became the first lord of Montejícar, whose title of "villa" was confirmed in 1538 by Emperor Charles V.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 06 Jul 2009
The flag and arms of Montejícar were approved by the Municipal Council on 23 January 2007 and submitted on 6 February 2007 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 15 February 2007, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 46 on 6 March 2007.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Shield quartered per cross. 1. Vert a castle argent masoned sable pierced. 2. Argent a Montejícar halberd* gules. 3. Argent an olive tree eradicated vert. 4. Azure an ermitage** argent masoned sable pierced. The shield surmounted with a Royal crown closed.
Flag: Rectangular flag in proportions 2:3, made of a red panel with a yellow tower masoned black and open on the field, with an isosceles triangle placed along the hoist, white with three blue wavy stripes.
The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA No. 46, p. 29, 06 Mar 2007 [PDF]
*The Montejícar halberd was found in 1949 by Manuel Gómez Moreno and Hermanfrid Schubart in the Iberic archeologic site of Cerro del Castillo. **The Ermitage of the Blessed Virgin of Cabeza, the patron saint of Montejícar, was built in 1636 on the top of a hill.
Ivan Sache, 06 Jul 2009