This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Laragne-Montéglin (Municipality, Hautes-Alpes, France)

Last modified: 2015-04-04 by ivan sache
Keywords: hautes-alpes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Laragne]

Flag of Laragne-Montéglin - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 August 2003

See also:

Presentation of Laragne-Montéglin

The municipality of Laragne-Montéglin (3,579 inhabitants in 2012; 2,351 ha) is located in the lower valley of the river Buëch, on the road between Marseilles and Grenoble (via the pass of la Croix-Haute).

The municipality is made of the two neighbouring villages of Laragne and Montéglin. In the past, Montéglin was more important than Laragne, which was a dependency of Arzeliers, now a small village located north of Laragne. Today, the main center of the municipality is Laragne.
The origin of the name of Laragne is obscure. This name is said to have been derived from Provencal aranha, "a spidera, because of an ancient inn using a spider as its sign, or an ancient, spider-shaped house.

Laragne developed in the 17th century when Lesdiguières built a castle there. François de Bonne, Duke of Lesdiguières (1543-1626), was the leader of the Protestants in Dauphiné, where he fought the French Catholics and the Duke of Savoy. He later abjured Protestantism and was appointed Marshal of France (1609), duke (1611) and constable (1622) by the king of France.

Ivan Sache, 17 August 2003

Flag of Laragne-Montéglin

The streets of Laragne are decorated with long vertical forked banners, vertically divided yellow and blue.
Yellow (or) and blue (azure) are the colours of the arms of Laragne-Montéglin, "Or a lion rampant sable armed langued and crowned gules a chief azure three crescents in fess argent".
These arms, adopted in 1968, are the arms of the Perrinet, lords in 1591.

Ivan Sache, 17 August 2003