Last modified: 2016-11-18 by ivan sache
Keywords: yvelines |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of the General Council of Yvelines - Image by Ivan Sache, 17 March 2015
Traditional provinces: Île-de-France, Orléanais
Bordering departments: Eure, Eure-et-Loir, Essonne, Hauts-de-Seine, Val-d'Oise
Area: 2,284 km2
Population (2005): 1,395,000 inhabitants
Sous-préfectures: Mantes-la-Jolie, Rambouillet, Saint-Germain-en-Laye
Subdivisions: 4 arrondissements, 39 cantons, 262 communes.
In the Middle Ages, the big forest located in the south of Paris was
called silva equalina, aquilina, evelina, acquilina... The main remains of this forest are the forests of Fontainebleau, Rambouillet
The word aquilina comes from Latin aqua, "water". The forest was watered by several rivers and was rich in sources, marshes and ponds.
The Law of 10 July 1964 on the reorganization of the region of Paris, with effect on 1 January 1968, suppressed the departments of Seine and Seine-et-Oise. The department of Yvelines was made of 262 municipalities from Seine-et-Oise.
General de Gaulle wanted to name the new department "Versailles". The National Assembly rejected this proposal, as well as the name of "Val-de-Seine". In 1962, the poet Jehan Despert, born in Versailles in 1921, proposed to add an "S" to the name of the legendary forest. The new name was adopted by the National Assembly upon proposal by Jean-Paul Palewski, Deputy and President of the General Council of Seine-et-Oise.
In November 1997, the place des Yvelines - Jehan Despert was inaugurated in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines, in the presence of the poet. The square is located on the municipalities of Guyancourt and Montigny-le-Bretonneux.
In 1969, the municipalities of Châteaufort and Toussus-le-Noble were transferred from Essonne to Yvelines.
Ivan Sache, 14 November 2009
The flag of the General Council of Yvelines is white with the logo in the middle. The flag was hoisted in front of the National Velodrome of Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines during the UCI Track Cycling World Championships.
The logo (presentation) is made of a fuchsia pink disk charged with a white "Y" and " ' ", flanked on its right by a thing gray vertical line and the gray writing "Yvelines / Conseil général", Yvelines in bolder and darker letters.
The logo was unveiled on 18-19 May 2008, during the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the establishment of the department of Yvelines.
The round is the shape of an ensemble, symbolizing union. Its
sweetness, most feminine, symbolizes the strong connection between the
institution and the citizens. The circle is open at the three ends of
The "Y", the initial of the department's name, is "rare". Infrequently used, this letter forms a rallying point, while offering opening to the outer of the disk that surrounds it. The original shape of the "Y" expresses impetus and dynamism while conferring to this classical letter an innovating character, not to say upper class.
The " ' ", "prime", qualifies and highlights the "Y", Yvelines "prime". The prime is a character of dynamism, increasing its evolution and balancing the "Y" in the logo.
Fuchsia is a warm, dynamic and modern colour. Unusual in the traditional graphic universe, it highlights the General Council. The typography of the writing is first of all legible, highlighting the word "Yvelines". It simply expresses a perennial and accessible to al institution.
Details for the construction of the logo are given in the Graphical Chart, last amended in April 2014.
The diameter of the disk is 4x. The vertical line is located x from the disk and from the writing.
The vertical proportions of the writing are as follows (x = y + z):
Space from top 2x "Yvelines" (small letters) z Space y "Conseil général" (small letters) z Space from bottom y
The pink colour is prescribed as:
Pantone 214 C CMYK (%) 0-100-0-10 RGB 210-0-114
The fonts are prescribed as:
Swiss 721 BT Roman Black 100% Swiss 721 BT Black 100%
Ivan Sache, 17 March 2015
Former flag of the General Council of Yvelines - Image by Philippe-Pierre Darras, 6 July 2000
Coat of arms of Yvelines - Image by Tomislav Todorović, 13 May 2016
The coat of arms of Yvelines is "Azure
semy of fleurs-de-lis or over all two bends wavy argent". It is derived
from the coat of arms of France ancient, symbolizing the traditional
province the department is situated within, while the bends stand for
the rivers Seine and Oise. The coat of arms was originally
adopted by the department of Seine-et-Oise in 1943, with the same
explanation, to be readopted in 1967, after its partition by Yvelines. The
blazon was originally proposed by famous French heraldist Robert Louis
(1902-1965), as a part of his series of proposed coats of arms for all
the then departments of metropolitan France.
[Emblèmes de France]
Tomislav Todorović, 13 May 2016