Last modified: 2012-02-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: rovisce | soldier | wattle (yellow) | ivancek (kresimir) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Rovišće - Image by Željko Heimer, 8 October 2011
The Municipality of Rovišće is located some 10 km west of Bjelovar along the main road to Zagreb. It has about 5,000 inhabitants, about 1,250 live in the main settlement of the same name.
Željko Heimer, 8 June 2007
The symbols of Rovišće are prescribed by Decision Odluka o usvajanju idejnog rješenja grba i zastave Općine Rovišće, adopted on 25 March 1998 by the Municipality Assembly and published on 14 May 1998 in the County official gazette Županijski glasnik Bjelovarsko-bilogorske županije, No. 4.
The municipality adopted the symbols "designed" by Krešimir Ivanček, an academic painter from Bjelovar, also the designer of the County's symbols. The design forms part of the Decision, but it is not published in the gazette. That is, presumably, the design still used by Rovišće without the approval by the Ministry.
K. Ivanček explained in a correspondence that the design was indeed devised by the municipality's officials who commissioned him to prepare the drawings. Even though he objected that the design was far from acceptable, they were insistent and he completed the drawing per their wishes. He himself does not considers to be the author of the "hideous design". Regarding the flag, he had no idea about it and first time heard about it just now. K. Ivanček kindly provided high quality drawings from which the drawings shown on this page were prepared.
The flag (image, no longer online) is in proportions 1:2, blue with the coat of arms in the middle.
Željko Heimer & Ivan Grbac, 8 October 2011
Coat of arms of Rovišće - Image by Željko Heimer, 8 October 2011
The coat of arms (municipal website) is "Azure on a mount vert in sinister a guardsman stantant clad in jacket purpure, white trousers, red cap and jacket facings, belt with gear proper and holding an upright long rifle, in dexter a tree grove proper and in between a corn ear or, in canton checky gules and argent, 5 x 5, and in chief sinister two oak leaves vert, inscribed in base sinister '1232' and over the canton '1993'. Encircled with a golden triple wattle bearing the inscription, above 'OPČINA' and below 'ROVIŠĆE'".
The guardsman reminds on the traditions from the period of the Military Frontier. Year 1232 is when Rovišće (Royoha) was first mentioned in a document by Herzog Koloman, King of Slavonia. At the time it was a county center and several sessions of the Slavonian nobility assembly were held there until the end of the 15th century. After the liberation of Slavonia from the Turks, the settlement loses its importance and became mere a village. Year 1993 is when the municipality was established.
This emblem was probably rejected by the central authorities and is in unofficial use, as is the flag.
Željko Heimer, 8 June 2007