This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Nazareth (Israel)

Iriyat Nazerat, Baladiyat A-Nassirat, Municipality of Nazareth, also known as Natzrat

Last modified: 2015-06-29 by andrew weeks
Keywords: nazareth | natzrat | nazerat | nassirat | iriyat nazreat | baladiyat a-nassirat | text: arabic (black) | text: english (black) | text: hebrew (black) | tree (black) | arch (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Municipality of Nazareth, Arabic and English inscription (Israel)]
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 31st May 1962

[Municipality of Nazareth, Arabic and Hebrew inscription (Israel)]
image by Dov Gutterman | 2:3
Emblem adopted 31st May 1962

See also:


Nazareth is situated in the centre of the Lower Galilee area. This world-famous place (...) has 60,000 inh. almost all of them Arabs. The municipal emblem was adopted in the Council meeting of 21 November 1955 and published in the official gazzette (Rashumot), section YP (Yalkut ha-Pirsumim) no. 934 of 31 May 1962. It shows the famous spring which is in the centre of this city. The inscription on the municipal flag is either in Arabic and Hebrew or Arabic and English. Information provided thanks to Mr. Abdallah Jubran, General Manager of the municipality.
Sources: letter of 28 August 2001; desk flag photograph; this municipal website and this other municipal website.
Dov Gutterman
, 8 September 2001

Nazareth was the home town of Joseph and Mary and the town where Jesus grew up, but he was born in Bethlehem. The main shrine in Nazareth commemorates the annunciation by the archangel Gabriel to Mary that she would bear the Messiah, described in the Gospel of Luke.
Joseph McMillan
, 10 September 2001

Nazareth is another case in which the official transliteration kept the worldwide known name and not the Hebrew or Arabic names. Visited it plenty times but never saw a municipal flag. It is the biggest non-Jewish city in Israel (62,300 inh. 67% Moslems, 33% Christians).
The name is probably based on the verb Natzar (Guard). Nazareth changed its character during the ages: from a Jewish small town that was Ruined by the Byzantine it was turn into a Christian village which in his turn was ruined in the 13th century and was turned into Moslem village.
Under the Druze ruler Pakher Ed-Din it was turned again to be under Christian domination which gave it a boost in the 19th century and following it, Nazareth became the capital of the Galilee District of the British Mandate in 1930.
The Independence war of 1948 saw many Moslem refugees from nearby villages arriving to the town and it started to lose its Christian domination and since the 1980' there is a Moslem majority in the city. which brought to some inter-religious tension.
The most important site is the Church of the Annunciation. Photo of the church at <>.
Sources: <> <>
The emblem appear on stamp issued on 2 February 1966 and show the Fountain of the Virgin (Ma'ayan Miriam, Ein Sitna Mariam) situated in the heart of the city and previously the main source of water to the city. Old photo of the fountain at <> and current one at wikipedia.
Dov Gutterman, 29 April 2005