Last modified: 2010-04-24 by ivan sache
Keywords: kichevo | kercove |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Kičevo - Image by Mello Luchtenberg & António Martins, 11 November 2006
The municipality of Kičevo (in Albanian, Kërçovë / Kërçova; 30,138 inhabitants; 49.14 sq. km) is located in western Macedonia, halfway between Skopje and Ohrid. It is made of the town of Kičevo and the settlements of Knežino, Lazarovci, Mamudovci, Osoj, Paštani and Trapčni Dol.
Kičevo is built on the site of the antique town of Uskana; it is listed
in Byzantine Emperor Basil II's documents (11th century) as Kicavis. In
the 13th-14th century, the town was known as Katin Grad, literally
Katina's Town, since Katina, the sister of ruler Marko, lived in the
town. Kičevo was the first city of Macedonia to be liberated at the end
of the Second World War, on 11 September 1945.
The monastery of Sveta Bogorodica Prečista (Blessed Viring)) is located in the mountains surrounding Kičevo. On 17 April 1924, Dositej took the coat in the monastery; in 1963, he became the first Archbishop of the renewed Ohrid Archbishopric of the Macedonian Orthodox Church. Dositej later proclaimed the autocephaly of the Macedonian Orthodox Church. The monastery is known for a flying icon representing the Blessed Virgin sent three times to the Knezino monastery and coming back each time to its original place. The third return of the icon was watched because it was supposed that someone secretely brought back the icon, but the watchers saw a ray a light entering the monastery through a window in the middle of the night.
Source: Dr. Boban Fidanoski's website
Ivan Sache, 11 November 2006
The municipal flag of Kičevo, as shown on the Macedonian Ministry of Local
Self-Government website (page no longer online), is vertical, in proportion 2:1, vertically divided red-white (~2:1) with the municipal emblem in the upper part.
The emblem is vertically divided red-white and the border between the two fields in the emblem matches the border between the two fields in the flag. The emblem seems to show a bridge over a narrow and deep valley. Republika Makedonija / Kičevo is written in Cyrillic letters in the chief of the shield.
Ivan Sache, 16 February 2002