Last modified: 2011-04-01 by andrew weeks
Keywords: nove zamky |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The "Official flag " at the Nové
Zámky website is Green and White (the text is as follows:"Vlajka
mesta je zlozená zo zeleného a bieleho pruhu, ukoncená tzv. lastovicím
chvostom", it means: the city flag is green and white and ends with
so called "swallow tail". If the flag is hanging vertically, it shall be
described (from viewers point of view) from left side to the right
side. The white and green flag has Nové Mesto nad
Aleš Křižan, 23 Jan 2001
Nové Zámky is a modern town in the south-west of Slovakia with a population
of about 44,000 and the centre of the district of the same name. The history
of the town goes back only some 500 years. The first reference, dated from
1545,mentions the place as a modern defence fortress against the Turks.
This wooden fortress was built on the left bank of the River Nitra in 1545.
Some years later, in 1571 a new fortress was erected on the other side
of the river - that is from where the present name of the town originates.
Nove Zamky means "new castles". Known as Castrum Novum, the new fortress
had a regular hexagonal ground-plan with six sticking out bastions.
Nové Zámky (Hungarian: Érsekújvár, German Neuhäusel) has 42.923 inhabitants
(31,1% Hungarian; 1990 census). In 1910: 16.228 inhabitants (91,4% Hungarians,
5,9% Slovakians and 2,3% Germans). The town was in Nyitra (Slovakian: Nitra)
County of Hungary till 1919/1920 (Czechoslovakian occupation). 1920-1938
Czechoslovakian, 1938-1944 Hungarian (after the Decision of Vienna). The
Treaty of Paris (1947) reallocated it to Czechoslovakia. The town was founded
in 1545 by Pál Várdai, archbishop of Esztergom. The fort 1663-1685 was
under Turkish rule. In 1725 the fort was destroyed.
István Molnár, 29 Jun 2000
The flag of the city in 1979.
Jan Kravčík, 15 June 2000
Nové Zámky (Érsekújvár in Hungarian) used a blue-red flag for times,
which was the flag of the Prince Rákóczi - they said. The town was the
important place at the time of the Prince Rákóczi's War of Independence.
The new flag of the town is this flag.
István Molnár, 20 Oct 2000.
The layout design of the fortress can still be seen in the coat-of-arms
of the town, the contemporary heart of the town is delimited by this hexagon
and the names of the six former bastions have been preserved as street