Last modified: 2012-05-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: bloomingdale | illinois | dupage county |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Eugene Ipavec, 3 November 2005
The flag of Bloomingdale, Ill., can be seen on this page www.peterroskam.com/troops/email.html (near the end, dated 'NEW 2/17/04' and beginning "Good Morning From Iraq"). It is a sky-blue flag showing name and state plus founding year surrounding a disk containing quadrants of a
symbolic nature: flower (rose?), grassy slope?, house or other building, family of four. Compare the simple seal-like device (small bell-tower on roof) on this page www.vil.bloomingdale.il.us/
Officially, it's a village. More information from the local Chamber of Commerce:
"Bloomingdale is a wonderful place to live, work and visit! This lovely village, located approximately 25 miles west of Chicago, is home to over 24,000 people. Although maintaining an excellent commercial and industrial base, a full 85 percent of Bloomingdale's eight square miles is dedicated to residential and open space.
It was about 170 years ago (1833) when the first white settlers arrived. Lyman Meacham traveled with his wife and children to this area seeking fertile land and the perfect place to raise their family. Meacham's brothers soon followed and together the Meacham family claimed about 1,200 acres of land that became known as "Meacham's Grove" (later to become Bloomingdale Township)."
Further dates: established as a village, 1839. Incorporated, 1889. South Section separates as Bloomingdale, 1923.
Jan Mertens, 1 November 2005